Belgium pays dearly for past asbestos imports

Friday, 14 September 2018 17:26
Belgium pays dearly for past asbestos imports © Belga
Belgium is bracing for a hike in deaths linked to substantial asbestos imports in the past, De Standaard reported on Friday.
From 1948 to 1998, when Belgium banned asbestos, at least two billion tonnes of the cancer-causing substance were imported into the country, according to new data collected by a researcher at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB – Free University of Brussels), Laura Van den Borre, under the direction of Professor Patrick Deboosere. This figure is higher than original estimates.

Exposure to asbestos can lead to mesothelioma, a cancer found in the lining of the lungs, stomach, heart and testicles. The Asbestos Fund, which pays compensation to mesothelioma victims, registered 228 recognized applications for compensation last year.

Deaths from such tumors should peak by 2024, according to projections by a team at KU Leuven (Catholic University of Leuven) led by Professor Ben Nemery.

However, mesothelioma figures alone cannot account for the total cost of asbestos use. “There are still hidden costs, mainly because a certain number of lung cancers are also caused by asbestos but are difficult to identify,” Nemery explained.

Maria Novak
The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

Entrepreneurs lay more than €300 million on table for medical research

Entrepreneurs lay more than €300 million on table for medical research

Urbain Vandeurzen, one of Belgium’s leading business entrepreneurs, has committed to spending €200 million through one of his companies to pay for research into Alzheimer’s disease.

March against Marrakesh can go ahead, says Council of State

March against Marrakesh can go ahead, says Council of State

The so-called March against Marrakesh, planned to take place in Brussels on Sunday, can go ahead despite a ban by the Brussels region, the Council of State has ruled.

Michel wants EU sanctions against people behind disinformation campaigns

Michel wants EU sanctions against people behind disinformation campaigns

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said on Friday on the margins of a summit in Brussels that he would like the European Commission to be able to conduct investigations and possibly take action against people who carry out disinformation campaigns to try and “destabilise democracies”.