Roma travellers evicted from caravan site in Anderlecht

Friday, 29 June 2018 10:03
A number of Roma families with children have been forced by the municipality in Anderlecht to leave a private caravan site.
The municipality claims that  the site  is polluted. The owner, an Armenian foundation, was contacted by the municipality not to extend its agreement to let them stay on its property. In the past the police used to come to the site and tell the Roma to move but without any official order or notice. 

The eviction was supposed to take place yesterday by order of the mayor but the Roma left quitely the evening before and moved to another place in the municipality from which they might be evicted again.

A few days earlier, part of the camp where Roma from Romania had been staying temporarily, had been set on fire. Nobody was hurt but the perpetrators remain unknown.

The number of families at the site varied between 15 and 20. The evicted Roma are Belgian citizens but many of them have no identity cards because they lack a permanent adress and their children do not attend regular school in the municipality.

There is a no legal caravan site with access to water and electricity for them in Anderlecht and hardly in any other municipality in Brussels.

According to the Brussels-based European Roma Grassroots Organisations Network (ERGO), the possibility of creating a Travelers site in Brussels with allocated land and facilities has been discussed for years. There is even a special fund from the Brussels Region that can be used for this.

The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

Entrepreneurs lay more than €300 million on table for medical research

Entrepreneurs lay more than €300 million on table for medical research

Urbain Vandeurzen, one of Belgium’s leading business entrepreneurs, has committed to spending €200 million through one of his companies to pay for research into Alzheimer’s disease.

March against Marrakesh can go ahead, says Council of State

March against Marrakesh can go ahead, says Council of State

The so-called March against Marrakesh, planned to take place in Brussels on Sunday, can go ahead despite a ban by the Brussels region, the Council of State has ruled.

Michel wants EU sanctions against people behind disinformation campaigns

Michel wants EU sanctions against people behind disinformation campaigns

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said on Friday on the margins of a summit in Brussels that he would like the European Commission to be able to conduct investigations and possibly take action against people who carry out disinformation campaigns to try and “destabilise democracies”.