Office block in Woluwe threatened with collapse demolished in a day

Wednesday, 10 October 2018 09:32
Office block in Woluwe threatened with collapse demolished in a day © Google
An empty office block on the busy Avenue de Tervuren in Woluwe-Saint-Pierre in Brussels was demolished at emergency speed on Tuesday. The building had shown signs of imminent collapse.
The building – the former Chien Vert office block – was in the process of being converted into apartments. Builders on the works noticed the construction was beginning to sway, and raised the alarm.

A safety perimeter was established, and residents of neighbouring blocks evacuated to a nearby sports centre. Police and fire service were present, and gas and electricity were turned off. Trams and buses servicing the avenue were stopped, and a replacement bus service laid on avoiding the scene.

Traffic was re-established around 22.00, when the situation had been evaluated and danger ruled out. Trams 39 and 44 will resume on Wednesday morning.

“The unstable section has been destroyed,” Woluwe mayor Benoit Cerexhe said in a statement. “The job was carried out without surprises, in the best of conditions. Now, the works are being carried out in the manner of a normal demolition,” he said.

The owner of the building, responsible for the renovations, had obtained all of the necessary permits.

Alan Hope
The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

The first poll of the year confirms the "Green wave"

The first poll of the year confirms the "Green wave"

The first poll of the year, done for Le Soir, RTL-TVI, VTM and Het Laatste Nieuws, has confirmed the “Green wave” sweeping the country.

The sp.a wants free GP consultations

The sp.a wants free GP consultations

Everyone should be able to see their GP for free, according to Flemish socialists in the sp.a.

Family of toddler shot dead by police may stay in the country

Family of toddler shot dead by police may stay in the country

The family of Mawda Shawri, the two-year-old shot dead by police during a car chase as they were entering the country illegally, have been granted a residence permit to allow them to stay in Belgium for at least a year, migration minister Maggie De Block has decided.