Oussama Atar mastermind behind Paris and Brussels attacks killed in Syria

Wednesday, 07 November 2018 15:13
Oussama Atar, the Belgo-Moroccan aged 33, believed to be a presumed mastermind of the Paris and Brussels attacks, was killed by an airstrike by the international anti-jihadist coalition in Syria.
The information has been reported by the French news website, Mediapart, citing France’s General Directorate of External Security, the French intelligence services. The Belgian Federal Prosecution Service did not wish to comment upon the information.

Mediapart is claiming, “On November 17th, 2017, a strike by the international coalition in Syria killed the Belgian, Oussama Atar.” Its statement follows the opening of an investigation, which has revealed that the seven people, believed to be the masterminds of the Paris and Brussels attacks, have all been killed in Syria.

Oussama Atar had been arrested and imprisoned in 2005 in the Abu Ghraib and Bucca prisons in Iraq. He had been released in 2012 and repatriated to Brussels.

In a message sent to his family, Atar denied all involvement in the Paris and Brussels attacks. However, it appears that he visited one of his nephews in prison around twenty times. The nephew was one of the El Bakraoui brothers, himself one of the suicide bombers of the Brussels attacks on March 22nd, 2016.

Oscar Schneider
The Brussels Times
Google Plus

More Stories

Entrepreneurs lay more than €300 million on table for medical research

Entrepreneurs lay more than €300 million on table for medical research

Urbain Vandeurzen, one of Belgium’s leading business entrepreneurs, has committed to spending €200 million through one of his companies to pay for research into Alzheimer’s disease.

March against Marrakesh can go ahead, says Council of State

March against Marrakesh can go ahead, says Council of State

The so-called March against Marrakesh, planned to take place in Brussels on Sunday, can go ahead despite a ban by the Brussels region, the Council of State has ruled.

Michel wants EU sanctions against people behind disinformation campaigns

Michel wants EU sanctions against people behind disinformation campaigns

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said on Friday on the margins of a summit in Brussels that he would like the European Commission to be able to conduct investigations and possibly take action against people who carry out disinformation campaigns to try and “destabilise democracies”.