EU calls on UK's new Prime Minister Liz Truss to respect Brexit agreements

EU calls on UK's new Prime Minister Liz Truss to respect Brexit agreements
European Commission President Ursula Von der Leyen. Credit: Belga/Nicolas Maeterlinck

On Monday, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen congratulated the UK's newly-elected Prime Minister Liz Truss, who is succeeding Boris Johnson after he was forced to resign.

Truss, who was the British Foreign Secretary until now, has been elected as leader of the Conservative Party with 57% of the votes, against the former Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak who obtained 43% of the votes.

"The EU and the UK are partners. We face many challenges together, from climate change to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine," said von der Leyen on Twitter. "I look forward to a constructive relationship, in full respect of our agreements."

At the end of July, the EU announced the opening of four new infringement procedures for non-compliance with provisions of the post-Brexit protocol on Northern Ireland – which come on top of the three that were already announced in mid-June.

The Northern Ireland Protocol, which is intended to prevent a physical border between EU Member State Ireland and the British territory of Northern Ireland after the UK's departure from the EU, has never been fully enacted.

Related News

From the beginning, there were exception periods for a range of products. At the end of June 2022, British MPs – with the support of Truss – approved a unilateral revision of the protocol, despite it being considered illegal by the EU.


Latest News

Copyright © 2021 The Brussels Times. All Rights Reserved.