Van Ranst: whoever leaked lockdown recommendations is ‘playing with people’s lives’
Share article:
Share article:

Van Ranst: whoever leaked lockdown recommendations is ‘playing with people’s lives’

Van Ranst called the leak "irresponsible, reprehensible and almost criminal behaviour." Credit: Belga

Belgian virologist Marc Van Ranst has expressed his anger after a draft proposal of experts’ advice for leaving the lockdown was widely shared in the country.

First published by Le Soir, then widely spread by the Belga News Agency, the leak provided details of the recommendations included in a draft by the Group of Experts for an Exit Strategy (GEES). On Friday, the National Security Council will meet again to discuss the next phase of the lockdown.

The report, which recommended a partial reopening of businesses and shops from 4 May and a return to school from 18 May, is only a draft version, Van Ranst stressed to VRT, who also called the leak “irresponsible, reprehensible and almost criminal.”

“This is one of the versions that has been on the table for the past few weeks. Things have been deleted and things have been added. This has not been fully checked with politicians and it is certainly not the final result of the expert group,” he told De Morgen.

The leak does not come from someone in the GEES group, Van Ranst said, who also added that it is normal that such a report starts circulating in certain circles after it has been presented. “But leaks to the press, that’s a step too far. This was done deliberately, and not with good intentions,” Van Ranst said.

Related News:

 

“This is not a game. Whoever leaked this is playing with people’s lives,” he said, adding that this is how wrong and false expectations are created.

The final version of the report can be spread online as much as people want, according to Van Ranst. “But this is a draft version. By leaking this, the work and communication of hardworking experts are being made impossible,” he added.

The expert report is still being considered, according to Erika Vlieghe, who heads the GEES. “We are working, in all serenity, to come up with a supported plan,” she told Gazet van Antwerpen. “The fact that there is a leak now is highly counterproductive. It does not lead to anything constructive,” she added.

“Leaking such a document is criminal,” said Kristof Calvo, federal group leader of Groen/Ecolo, on Twitter, adding that he was asking the Prime Minister to investigate the leak.

Earlier, Belgian Prime Minister Sophie Wilmès had also expressed her displeasure about the leak. “Meetings are still ongoing, including at the level of the experts themselves. Extreme caution is therefore required. The answers will come on Friday; not before,” Wilmès’ cabinet said.

Maïthé Chini
The Brussels Times

Latest news

Belgian Health Minister wants pharmacists to administer vaccines
Federal Health Minister Frank Vandenbroucke has said he wants to change Belgium's law to allow pharmacists to administer Covid-19 vaccines against, ...
Ruined photos from flood victims restored for free
Much of what victims of this summer’s deadly flooding lost is irreplaceable, but when it comes to photographs that were ruined, a Brussels company is ...
New Belgian video game aims to help children who stutter
A new video game by Belgian-American start-up Say It Labs aims to teach children with a stutter various techniques to improve their speech.  ...
More than 1 in 4 Belgians use mobile phones whilst driving
A recent European study into the use of mobile phones whilst driving highlights some alarming results: 26% of Belgians read or send messages on their ...
Belgium in Brief: Memories Of Masks
Belgium's experts are concerned with the rising coronavirus figures. One possible solution could be that, once again, masks are used more widely. ...
Museum Night Fever returns to Brussels on Saturday night
After a break last year, Museum Night Fever 2021 is back again with free visits to 32 museums hosting performances, music and other events. The ...
More than €1.5 billion injected into SNCB
More than €1.5 billion in additional funding has been injected into the Belgian railways, Federal Mobility Minister Georges Gilkinet told the House ...
Non-vaccinated applicants no longer welcome at ZNA hospitals in Antwerp
The Antwerp hospital group ZNA is only taking on new employees who have been vaccinated against the coronavirus, according to reporting from VRT. ...
Pharmacies prepare to administer more rapid antigen tests
From November, anyone presenting coronavirus symptoms for less than six days will be able to take a rapid antigen test in a pharmacy, announced the ...
Chocolate, Christmas, and cocaine
Do you consider yourself a news buff? Someone constantly on top of what's going on? Then maybe you have what it takes to ace The Brussels Times ...
Introduction of Covid Safe Ticket leads more in Brussels to get vaccinated
The introduction of the Covid Safe Ticket (CST) in the Brussels-Capital Region on 15 October seems to have led to a higher number of residents ...
More and more testimonies, and a second rally against sexual violence in Brussels
A second rally against sexual violence was held in the Brussels neighbourhood of Ixelles on Thursday evening, and a sister-rally was held ...