Share article:
Share article:

Belgian rail scraps extra trains to the coast this weekend

Credit: Belga

Belgian railway company SNCB will scrap several extra trains to the coast it was supposed to operate the coming weekend, according to acting West Flemish governor Anne Martens on Tuesday evening.

If the planned trains get too busy, no additional passengers will be allowed to board, she said after consultation with, among others, the mayors of the coastal cities with train stations, the police, the Ministry of Internal Affairs, and SNCB.

SNCB will limit its summer offer for now. The measures will be evaluated after the weekend, when a decision about the train traffic for the following summer weekends will be made, reports De Standaard.

The decision follows a tumultuous weekend on the Belgian coast, as it got too busy for the coronavirus measures on Saturday in many towns, which even led to a massive fight in Blankenberge.

Many mayors asked to stop the planned extra trains to the coast, but that did not work out on Sunday.

Related News:

 

Additionally, on the trains that will still be allowed to run, the number of passengers will be limited. “SNCB adheres to the maximum number of train passengers per day per coastal station,” the announcement said. “In concrete terms, this means 10,000 for Ostend, 6,000 for Blankenberge, 2,000 for Knokke-Heist, 4,000 Zeebrugge and 2,000 for De Panne.”

Mayor of Ostend, Bart Tommelein, had complained this weekend that the influx of train passengers alone was enough to fully occupy the planned places on the beach.

The trains will only run at a maximum of 80% occupancy. When this is reached, passengers will only be allowed to get out of the train at the next station, but new passengers will not be allowed in, reports VRT.

“SNCB will supervise the train passengers in the stations. The police will have a reinforced presence in all major stations,” Martens said.

The railway police, Securail, will have a “reinforced presence” on the trains and in the stations. “Potential troublemakers” will be reported to the police services, and in the event of “the slightest incident, decisive action will be taken, if necessary en route.

Maïthé Chini
The Brussels Times

Latest news

Increase in tax exemption for donations in Belgium fails to meet expectations
The increase from 45% to 60% in the tax exemption for donations, decided by the former federal government in June 2020, has cost Belgium more than ...
Sex workers in Belgium to get more social rights protection
The social rights of sex workers will soon be better protected in Belgium, Belga News Agency reports. The Council of Ministers has approved a draft ...
Belgian firms sent almost 266 billion euros to tax havens last year
Hundreds of Belgian firms sent close to 266 billion euros to tax havens last year, De Tijd reported on Saturday. Any Belgian individual or firm ...
Belgian investigator wins prestigious US prize
Olivier Hardy, an investigator with the federal police’s anti-terrorist unit in Brussels, DR3, received on Friday a "Top Cop" prize in Washington for ...
Pegasus Project: European Parliament awards journalism prize to investigation of use of spyware
The Daphne Caruana Prize for Journalism was awarded on Thursday to the journalists from the Pegasus Project coordinated by the Forbidden Stories ...
Belgians can now test their knowledge of driving rules and win prizes
The Walloon Road Safety Agency (AWSR) launched on Friday a quiz to allow the general public to test their knowledge of the highway code. Last year, ...
600 extras wanted for film about Belgian ‘Porn King’ and notorious Antwerp nightclub
A Belgian movie telling the story of a notorious Antwerp nightclub with connections to a Belgian 'Porn King' is looking for 600 extras at the end of ...
Namur Marathon relaunches after two years on hold
The next edition of the Namur Marathon will take place on April 24, 2022, its organisers announced on Friday, as they also opened registrations. ...
Lidl goes on strike: Half of supermarkets in Belgium closes on Saturday
One in two Lidl shops remained closed on Saturday morning, Lidl spokeswoman Isabelle Colbrandt said. Staff have been on strike for several days to ...
€220 million: Largest ever lottery prize in Europe won in France
A record-breaking €220 million Euromillions jackpot was won on Friday by a player in France, the French gaming authority (FDJ) has announced. The ...
Antwerp exhibition shows first photos after city bombed in 1944
An open-air exhibition in Antwerp will show off never before seen photos as part of a commemoration of the first V-bomb to hit the city, 77 years ...
Daily Covid infections up by almost 30% in Belgium
Between 6 and 12 October, an average of 2,438 people were infected with the Covid-19 virus every day, according to figures from the Sciensano public ...