Coronavirus: Flemish minister slammed for delayed action on nursing homes
Share article:
Share article:

Coronavirus: Flemish minister slammed for delayed action on nursing homes

Credit: Belga

Flanders has launched an emergency plan to curb the soaring spread of the coronavirus pandemic in nursing homes which opposition lawmakers said came “too late.”

Flemish Health Minister Wouter Beke said the situation in nursing homes would be tackled with a ten-point plan unveiled on Wednesday before the regional parliament’s Welfare Committee.

The plan includes the continued enforcement of a lockdown in all care centres since it was first imposed on 13 March, days after Brussels and Wallonia took similar measures.

Guidelines for how to isolate and treat suspected or confirmed cases as well as strategies to make up for shortages of staff and of protective gear and medical equipment are also part of the strategy.

Additionally, a dedicated task force, operational from Thursday, will be charged with the daily monitoring of nursing homes in Flanders, Beke said on Twitter.

Nationwide efforts to ramp up testing in nursing homes will also be a central element of the plan, with the regional health agency this week sharing data on how the over 11,000 test kits would be distributed among nursing homes.

In an online statement, the agency said that all staff and residents were being tested in a number of nursing homes but that there were still not enough resources to do that in all nursing homes in Flanders.

Related News:

 

‘Out of control’

The minister’s plan was faced with sharp criticism as opposition lawmakers accused Beke of failing to act earlier despite having access to pertinent data.

MP Hannelore Goeman chided Beke for failing to raise the issue with federal authorities despite the fact that nursing homes started tracking cases since 18 March.

“Literally hundreds died in the second half of March,” Goeman said, according to De Morgen, while MP Björn Rzoska likened the situation in nursing homes to a “blazing fire that has escaped our control.”

“When I saw the numbers yesterday, I was shocked. The virus is now present in half of nursing homes,” Rzoska said, adding that it was “incomprehensible” that action was only taken “after 3.4 weeks of the crisis.”

The lawmakers’ statements come after a network of Flemish health care organisations said it was “urgent” for authorities to increase testing in nursing homes in a press statement published on 26 March.

On Tuesday, Belgium’s death toll soared as nursing homes in Flanders belatedly reported 241 deaths of residents with a confirmed or suspected case of Covid-19.

Outbreaks expected ‘sooner or later’

Figures released Wednesday by Beke showed that 619 nursing home residents in Flanders were thought to have died from Covid-19 since the start of the pandemic.

The numbers also showed that out of the 773 nursing homes reporting figures to Beke, roughly half had been hit by the virus which had led over a dozen homes grappling with varying degrees of staff shortages.

In a statement to De Standaard, Beke said that the impact of the virus was unexpected and that an outbreak in Flemish health centres was expected “sooner or later.”

“You can’t do much more than we did —we couldn’t brick up the nursing homes, could we? So we knew that, sooner or later, the nursing homes would be contaminated,” he said.

In a TV appearance on Wednesday, as nursing homes began to alert of shortages of bottled medical oxygen, Beke said the newly created task force had made an “explicit appeal” urging hospitals to respond to nursing homes’ call.

Beke said that hospitals must act with “solidarity” as it was “also in their interest” that nursing homes managed to get the situation under control to avoid an influx of hospital admissions.

Gabriela Galindo
The Brussels Times

Latest news

Belgian Health Minister wants pharmacists to administer vaccines
Federal Health Minister Frank Vandenbroucke has said he wants to change Belgium's law to allow pharmacists to administer Covid-19 vaccines against, ...
Ruined photos from flood victims restored for free
Much of what victims of this summer’s deadly flooding lost is irreplaceable, but when it comes to photographs that were ruined, a Brussels company is ...
New Belgian video game aims to help children who stutter
A new video game by Belgian-American start-up Say It Labs aims to teach children with a stutter various techniques to improve their speech.  ...
More than 1 in 4 Belgians use mobile phones whilst driving
A recent European study into the use of mobile phones whilst driving highlights some alarming results: 26% of Belgians read or send messages on their ...
Belgium in Brief: Memories Of Masks
Belgium's experts are concerned with the rising coronavirus figures. One possible solution could be that, once again, masks are used more widely. ...
Museum Night Fever returns to Brussels on Saturday night
After a break last year, Museum Night Fever 2021 is back again with free visits to 32 museums hosting performances, music and other events. The ...
More than €1.5 billion injected into SNCB
More than €1.5 billion in additional funding has been injected into the Belgian railways, Federal Mobility Minister Georges Gilkinet told the House ...
Non-vaccinated applicants no longer welcome at ZNA hospitals in Antwerp
The Antwerp hospital group ZNA is only taking on new employees who have been vaccinated against the coronavirus, according to reporting from VRT. ...
Pharmacies prepare to administer more rapid antigen tests
From November, anyone presenting coronavirus symptoms for less than six days will be able to take a rapid antigen test in a pharmacy, announced the ...
Chocolate, Christmas, and cocaine
Do you consider yourself a news buff? Someone constantly on top of what's going on? Then maybe you have what it takes to ace The Brussels Times ...
Introduction of Covid Safe Ticket leads more in Brussels to get vaccinated
The introduction of the Covid Safe Ticket (CST) in the Brussels-Capital Region on 15 October seems to have led to a higher number of residents ...
More and more testimonies, and a second rally against sexual violence in Brussels
A second rally against sexual violence was held in the Brussels neighbourhood of Ixelles on Thursday evening, and a sister-rally was held ...