12 people who were hiding in a refrigerated truck were found on Wednesday in the municipality of Ternat in the Flemish Brabant province.
The police handed the 12 people over to the Immigration Department, confirmed Michel Vanderhasselt, the mayor of Ternat, reports De Standaard.
The truck was making a delivery to the Ferrero company on Wednesday, when the loading space was opened and the twelve people were discovered.
- Police discover migrants in the back of a refrigerated truck in Liège
- Police discover 12 transmigrants stowed away in refrigerated truck in Flemish Brabant
- Police free migrants from traffickers’ truck
- 39 dead bodies found in cooling container in Essex: what is known so far
- A dozen men found in cooling container next to E34 motorway
- 16 people found trapped in a trailer on a ferry to Ireland
All 12 have the Eritrean nationality, according to their statements, but further research will bring more clarity, reports Het Nieuwsblad. When or where they crawled into the truck, or where they were going, is not clear.
At the end of October 2019, 39 people were found dead in the English town of Essex after a long journey in such a refrigerated trailer.
The Brussels Times